Late last month, it was reported that a Wisconsin company called Three Square Market was planning on surgically implanting microchips underneath the skin of its employees for convenience purposes. Three Square Market CEO Todd Westby told KSTP, the Twin Cities ABC affiliate station, that the microchip implants are “the next big thing that’s inevitably going to happen, and we want to be a part of it.”
Westby explained that the microchip would be capable of doing a number of different things, from allowing people to purchase food in the break room by simply scanning their hand, to serving as an electronic key to open doors and access computers.
The microchips use Radio Frequency Identification technology (RFID) to function, which also happens to be the technology used when you pay for items using your iPhone or Android device.
“We foresee the use of RFID technology to drive everything from making purchases in our office break room market, opening doors, use of copy machines, logging into our office computers, unlocking phones, sharing business cards, storing medical/health information, and used as payment at other RFID terminals,” said the Three Square Market CEO in a statement. “Eventually, this technology will become standardized allowing you to use this as your passport, public transit, all purchasing opportunities, etc.”
Noelle Chesley, an associate professor of sociology at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, believes that the use of microchips is only going to become more common in the not-so-distant future. “It will happen to everybody,” she explained. “But not this year, and not in 2018. Maybe not my generation, but certainly that of my kids.”
In fact, the idea of using microchips in order to track the financial situations of welfare recipients has already been suggested by one politician in Finland. According to Sputnik News, a member of Finland’s conservative Finn Party recently recommended implanting satellite-tracking chips inside of welfare recipients in response to news that some recipients continued to receive payments after leaving the country to fight for the Islamic State.
But regardless of how good the intentions may be, there are still a lot of questions that must be answered before the people of our country and elsewhere embrace the use of surgically implanted microchips. Can they ever be turned off or removed? Who exactly will have access to your location should the microchip be equipped with GPS technology? And if the microchips contain personal information regarding health and finances, will it be possible for that information to be hacked and potentially sold by a third party?
NBC: Your Children Will Definitely Be Microchipped
* ‘Within Ten Years 50% of Americans Will Be Chipped’ – Tech Pioneer
* You will get chipped — eventually
* Scientist Claims Human Microchip Implants Will Become “Not Optional”
* US Government To Forcibly Microchip Disabled People
* Independent journalists to be forcibly micro-chipped by government
* Government Wants to “Implant Recipients of Welfare Assistance
* Technology in place for Bible’s ‘mark of the beast’
* Implanting Microchips Under Their Skin Becoming New Normal
* Taiwan chipmaker maker sees record sales for 2015
* SHOCK: Workers are willfully getting microchip implants
* This company embeds microchips in its employees, and they love it
* Companies begin planting microchips under employees’ skin
* Woman has MICROCHIPS implanted in both hands
* 1000s Of People In Sweden Are Willingly Microchipping Their Own Hands
* Over 10,000 People Have Now Received A Permanent RFID Microchip
* One German has his last testament implanted under his skin
* Twin Cities Man Has Microchips Implanted In Skin
* RFID Tags Are Here!
* Handy way to pay: US firm plans to fit employees with microchip implants
* ‘Big Brother’ & Biohackers: Who Implants Microchips Under Skin and Why?
* Trendy Europeans Get Payment Chips Implanted Under Their Skin
* Bio-hacking company markets eerily biblical implants
* Solution for the absentminded? Swede gets microchip key implanted in hand
* Australia Becomes First Country to Begin Microchipping Its Citizens
* Buzzfeed Normalize Human Microchips In Disturbing Propaganda Video